Thursday, December 15, 2011

Friday Is Draft Day


Friday The 9th December

So after a fairly quiet week on the MTG front due to university, Friday rolled round and it was time for our monthly draft! Yay.

As most new players Standard (Or Type 2) was my favourite format, but if you want to play a Top Tier deck then this can cost a fair whack. I'll talk about how I budget my money whilst being all studenty on another date.

Draft is very quickly becoming my favourite format. It gives everyone a good level starting point: Nothing. You get your boosters and then have to make skill based decisions dependant on information coming from what you have previously pulled and signals being sent to and from other players. The quicker you can adapt to all of this info then the better deck you will have.

I used to be a terrible drafter but I think over time I've gotten better. Well I hope so at least.

Anyway Draft time:

Pack 1 Pick 1 and It's a bomb: Olivia Voldaren! It's always nice to pull a card that is playable in the format. Also this has gone up in price recently and I've been after a third so win win.

However my next picked turned into a Bonds of Faith. For the non-eagle eyed amongst you, this is neither Red Or Black. And is therefore not very synergistic with my first pick. Third Pick was a Chapel Geist.

Awesome. Am I in white now? Seems so

Pick 4: Stitched Drake. Now I think I need to explain this pick. I think that blue is ridiculously strong in this set. I've drafted it a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Now for me this is a strong 4th pick card and I am very happy to try and pick up blue.

And this is where my draft started to gain momentum in kind of an odd way.

I couldn't stop picking up removal. I think I ended up with:

  • 3 Dead Weight
  • 2 Victim of Night
  • 2 Blazing Torch
  • 1 Grasp of Phantasms
  • 1 Silent Departure
  • 1 Claustrophobia
This did leave me a little creature light. I splashed red to play Olivia and a 12th Creature which was an Ashmouth hound. This deck was actually insane even if a little suboptimal. Admittedly I didn't play all of the above cards but I had a blast. Even spectral flight worked well to bring home the beats in several games.

I rode this to a 3-0 and won a FNM! I've now won a few and I treating this as a development in my own game. Russian Boosters as Prize's are cool too. Very happy with the Dismember, Shrine of Burning Rage and Beast Within:





Sorry for the late update – as mentioned been a little busy but Ill try and post again on Sunday about this FNM-less week!

No comments:

Post a Comment