Monday, December 5, 2011

FNM and the Weekend

It's Friday

So after a test at University on the wonders of Partial Differential Equations, hoped on a train to St Austell to Play at FNM. I had my deck all set up and sorted, and was all set to play UW.

Then after a sudden change of heart I found myself pulling mono-black infect out of my bag, making a few changes from when I won the Innistrad Games Day.

I decided to try and go for a more creature kill style rather than hand disruption as I thought this fit our meta appropriately.

Round 1 – UW Control

Now I love coming to FNM and trying to play good decks, but do you ever sit down against one opponent, who you just can't beat. Now Jake is a good player and a friend, so In a perfect world I'd rather meet him in a later round or not at all.

Game 1 I took a hand with 3 lands, 1 being an Inkmoth, spellskite, lashwrite and a bit of removal. Jake got Land screwed and by the time he managed to set a Gideon, I was in a pretty good position with 2 lashwrithes, one equipped to a spellskite and one still on a germ. He used the Giddeon to kill the 6/10 spellskite, and as he was tapped out I dropped Skithiryx, gave it haste, and equipped to swing for game. As you can probably tell I'm not afraid to start beating down with non-infect creatures if that route is not working.

Unfortunately games 2 and 3 took similar roots involving Jake just getting Lands, and card advantage via Think twice and Mana leaks. He's basically playing an altered version of his old Caw-blade deck. One card that grows on me more and more is midnight haunting. I think I originally took it as a sorcery, but after playing with and against it I've never thought it was terrible. Watch this space for me playing a deck with Spirit tokens involved.

Round 2 - The Bye

Why does this guy play Magic? He turns up and just loses!

I hate having the bye, I come to play but when there are odd numbers someone has to have it. Oh well. At least you still get planeswalker points for the "Win".

During the round I just walked around, talked with people and just watched some games.

Round 3 – Ian – Blue Black Control

I say control but I'm not overly sure. Game 1 started with me just chipping away at Ian with Plague stinger, as I just couldn't find equipment or a pump spell. Managed to get Ian to 9 poison and then Tezzeret's Gambit did the last point of poison.

Game 2 – Started terribly, I had to Mull to 4 as none of the 3 hands before had any land. Disastrous! What made this even worse was this was land free too. Ian Dropped a typhoid Rat and started chipping away at my life – He got me down to 14 but I managed to stabilise by drawing lots of lands, playing Virulent wound and then resetting my mulligans by playing 2 Tezzeret's Gambit. I didn't go any lower than 10 life and again Skithiryx was able to finish the game off for me.

I have no idea why I was so land light in that game as the deck contains 26 land and I do try to thoroughly shuffle so my land doesn't clump together.

Round 4 – Tim – Bant Control

Not a week goes by where I don't seem to play Tim. I do enjoy our games as Tim is a rogue deckbuilder with a lot of skill. He always seems to play a different deck each week and I always have fun seeing what he has come up with.

This week was a little different. In game 1 I was on the play, passed and then Tim played Land then birds of Paradise, to which I quickly put a virulent wound onto. I managed to get Tim to 5p from I belive a Inkmoth nexus and a Lashwrithe but then I met a powerful Beast within which destroyed my only threat. Tim then started picking off my equipment but by that point I had made the decision to be the aggressor and was beating down with the beasts, which eventually killed Tim.

I didn't really see much from Tim other than a Birds and a couple of midnight hauntings, so made the decision to board in 2 Curse of Death's Hold.

Which in Game 2 I was luckily enough to start with in hand, which also consisted of 2-3 land and an early threat so I kept that hand. And then the Curse hit the board on turn 5, which slowed the game down for Tim. After that I only saw a Geist of St Traft equipped with a Sword of War and Peace. I had already dropped Phyrexian Crusader, and was beating down as I had a lashwrithe too.

Overall ending 3-1 and coming 3rd is a good evening – however was a little disappointed that I had a bye. Oh well – Next Week booster Draft!

Saturday 3rd December

I had to pop into University mid-afternoon so had a slow start to the day. After a quick yet productive group meeting, I popped back home and then noticed that it was a Star City Games open weekend. For those that don't know SCG host tournaments on most weekends that have a good payout structure and they broadcast feature matches. As this was a mid-American venue the time difference wasn't too bad and I believe it started around 5-6 ish. As this is broadcasted, this allows players to watch some good competitive magic, and as the metagame is healthy, we get a good variety of decks. The commentary tends to be very good and explains plays very well. If you ever find yourself with the time to watch one then I would recommend it!

I also did a little bit of work towards Judge Tests, as it is a bit of a time sink I unfortunately won't probably have the opportunity to do said test until next summer. Oh well, better late than never. Here's hoping for a British GP in 2012!

Sunday 4th December

The Top 4 of the SCG open was on at 2pm so I tuned into that, before I found out that there was an offer on something that I've wanted to buy for a while. This resulted in me popping into town to pick that up. Turns out there are things I put before magic. When I popped back I put the remainder of the broadcast on in the background, as I went about writing up decklists, and also doing some uni work. Nothing exciting here today really. From next week I'll start putting up decklists of what I've played at FNM.


 

Today I also decided that, whilst I enjoyed playing the Infect deck, I still can't get used to the style, so will be switching it up a little bit. I need to find the balance on weather I want to be more controlling in a hand disruption style, or a creature kill basis. It will come with Time. Don't expect much from me next week. It's my last week before Christmas holiday, and Have a bit of work to be doing, but There will be a post FNM update.

So Untill next weekend,

Laters


 

No comments:

Post a Comment